Thursday 19 July 2012

Day 8 (Inverness to John O'Groats)

It was the last day today. Big push from Inverness to JOG. A total of 119 miles with a head wind all the way. Totally bushed tonight but happy to have completed in 8 days, 2 days ahead of schedule. Tomorrow I start my journey south again. Hopefully in a car and then a train or if that fails a cycle back to Wick.
A couple of massive climbs after Helmsdale. Would bring tears to even the toughest cyclist. Two 13% gradient hills after 69 miles is not a pleasant site. Looking forward to not getting back on the saddle, my arse is killing me. I was very impressed with my bike and my Gatorskin tyres. After spending most of the 8 days on the hard shoulder and going over all sorts of crap, not one puncture. What a brilliant product. No issues with my trusty steed (Mum's bike), after two mechanics said I needed to change the hubs, front & rear cassette and chain. Well this bike has been from Aylesbury to Brussels, Calais to Nice and LEJOG and still going strong. Good advert for a Scott sub 20 hybrid.

What a bleak place Wick and John O'Groats must be in the winter. The wind blows all the time and dead boring landscape. Why would you live here?

Thanks very much to everyone who supported me. Your donations will make a huge difference to PACE.
A very big thank you to my family and friends who kept me going when the times got tough, and oh my goodness did they get tough.
My mate Paul who I met on the first day plans to complete in 2 more days. Good luck mate.
One accident (which is good for me) and one lost toothbrush. Not bad.
What would I do differently-
- One less cycling shirt.
- No heavy books.
- Have a sim card that works everywhere.
- Listen to music
Today was 120 miles, 9.45 hrs ride time and a total time 11hrs. Average speed was 12.4mph.

Total stats for the entire trip were:
Total miles - 854
Total ride time- 64.53 hrs
Ave speed- 13.23 mph
Total calories burnt- 43 840
No punctures and no breakdown.
An awesome trip.
Regards


1 comment:

  1. A big congratulations on completing lejog and doing it solo and in 8 days. What an achievement. Now for a well deserved break!

    ReplyDelete